Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Little Changes: Life Goes On

I've always been notoriously bad at tests...

As I went out to my truck to leave for an audition yesterday, I ran across a dead hawk at the driver's door. I didn't know what to make of this as a premonition - but it kind of unnerved me. I tried to spin it in a positive way, but the more I thought about it - the more it seemed like a serious presage to failure. I put a quart of oil in the old truck and took off over the mountain trying not to think about it...

I was a bit early, so I walked around the next mountain a bit, trying to calm down. It was a beautiful day, I thought - things will be alright. I was pretty anxious to get started.

I was to cook a meal for four. One stipulation being not to cook pork. The amuse-bouche I made was shrimp toast with shredded ham and feta - what an ass! Oh well... I never even thought about it until an hour after I had left the premises. Perhaps if I hadn't been preoccupied...

Dinner consisted of chicken and shrimp in vodka infused marinara cream tossed with overcooked penne - and two perfectly seared strip steaks rubbed with my infamous "brokeback mountain" seasoning (coffee, brown sugar & Kosher salt). The sauce I made for the steaks was supposed to have whiskey, but I was rushed for time and couldn't prepare it properly. The new potatoes I made for the steaks were nearly burned, but I like them with a crunchy crust...

I also prepared a proposal for a fall menu which I gave the waitress - for the table to look at - and got no feedback from it. I was dismissed with the statement that I would hear the outcome on Wednesday...

I suppose I failed miserably - I'll know tomorrow for sure - but if things go the way I feel they did - there's no need to wait until tomorrow to know the outcome.

When I got home, that hawk was still there, so I quietly disposed of the poor creature so the kids wouldn't get to it. I felt pretty badly about the whole misadventure.

This was the job that I really wanted to procure. It would have been a great thing for me - and maybe I'm giving up too soon, but I think I know how to read it... I'm feeling pretty low right about now.

4 comments:

Sorrow said...

i am not one much for the symbols in things, But I can see where there might be something to it.
I wonder how the hawk died?
did it crash into your car?
maybe it was left there to give you it's wings, so that you might soar onto other places, other things?
(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

I was hoping for the later reason...
perhaps if I had done the right thing earlier - taken the time and properly laid him to rest - before my audition.

At any rate, I said a fond adieu afterwards, and took a few feathers to remind me that we all meet the same fate at the appointed time with destiny.

But until then - live life to the fullest. There is precious little time allotted for us all. If we make the most we can of it - that's all we can do...

Peace Sis and thanks for stopping by.

Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
Next time, cook the hawk.
.

Anonymous said...

I'll remember that, Cosa.
Thanks. ;o)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin